[iyonix-support] Re: CDROM oddities

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 09:28:24 +0100

In article
<1391926393.387437.1397150545614.open-xchange@omgreatgod.store>,
Steffen
Huber <steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > I continue to be puzzled that my ripframes program works on my Iyonix
> > but fails to read the Audio CD on my Iyonix. I added as a diagnostic a
> > report to the program to print out any error messages, etc. This gives
> > me the following.
> [snip]
> > CD_ReadAudio Error: 8401924 Bad parameters   dev 1  card 3  LUN 0
> >handle 0
> [snip]

> This is the CDFS driver's way of telling you "I cannot read audio from
> this device because I am using the wrong command".

I was about to agree with that! However I just tried a BASIC program
that Jeffrey Lee wrote which also uses CD_ReadAudio. This works for
my Iyonix! So I've gone back to my previous suspicion. That one of
the values I'm giving the swi isn't one it can accept. In partiular,
at present I'm wondering if I'm asking for chunks that are too large
for the Iyonix + drive.

At present my program asks for chunks 5 sec + 1 frame long. This is
fine on my ARMiniX, but maybe it isn't for the Iyonix. I'll do some
more experiments.

> I guess the IYONIX CDFSSoftATAPI uses the "ReadAudio" command, and your
> Sony drive only supports the MMC compatible "Read CD" command. That's
> what the fun about drive compatibility is all about.

I note your ironic use of "fun"! I see what you mean.

> I am sure if you use CDBurn with this drive, it will extract audio if
> you use the IYOIDE: or ADFS: device, but not if you use the CDFS: device.

I've used CDBurn successfully on the drives in the past. I can't recall the
settings I used, but I'll check.

Is the 'card = 3' value an indicator of such problems? I'm wondering how
the programmer can tell without simply trying the CD_ swis and seeing if
they fail.

FWIW I've also used cdparanoia on both Iyonix drives in the past and that
worked OK as well.

Thanks,

Jim