[iyonix-support] Re: CDROM oddities

  • From: Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 18:54:30 +0100

In article <53f6c271f9jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Lesurf
<jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/software/ClassicRip.zip

> and you should copy the new version of ripframes into your library
> directory before use. (Plus, of course, read the !Help file :-) )

> The new version of ripframes identifies itself as '0.60i' to indicate I
> tested it and had it working OK on my Iyonix.

Alas, there is *still* a problem with the Iyonix. This shows up when you
rip the last frame of the last track right at the end of the disc.

The reason seems to be that the CD_ swis on my Iyonix mis-report the frame
count for the disc.[1] So the ripping is told that one more frame is
present than actually exists!

If I use the same (good quality commercial CD) to test, using the same
program, the CD_ swis tell me the length is 371475 frames on my Iyonix, but
371474 on my ARMiniX. And ripping works fine to the end on my ARMiniX, but
there is a read error when I try to read the (mythical!) 'last frame' on
the Iyonix. Apart from this, the two machines give the same results... erm
*except* that the output from the Iyonix is also shifted 41 samples 'late'.

This all happens for *both* my Iyonix's CD-RW and DVD drives.

I don't know how representitive my Iyonix may be of others, but clearly
something is wrong with the frame counting and alignment of reading of
audio on it.

Means I have to decide how to deal with this. If I can find a way to detect
the misreport by the swis I can avoid having to simply miss a frame out
when using later machines.

Jim

[1] For those who don't know, the audio on an Audio CD is in 'frames' of
1/75th of a second's worth of audio. This is the fundamental 'unit' of how
the data is organised on the physical disc. For reasons that only make
sense if you look at how error detection and correction are handled for
such discs.