[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: Schrijvers Luc <Begasus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 20:27:28 +0200

On di, 2008-07-22 at 13:43 -0400, Ari Haviv wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Michael Phipps
> <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > There are a couple of challenges. The first is *Getting* name recognition
> > (and positive name recognition). LinuxWorld and SCALE are the right things
> > for right now. Right market, right expectations. When R1 comes out
> > (non-alpha), even, I think that small scale in the US would be better. The
> > hobbyist market here is pretty pathetic, honestly. People want their
> > computers to DO something, not be a platform for development and learning.
> > I think that the US market will need complete solutions. 100 apps. If it
> > can't do (nearly) all of what people are using XP or Vista for, they won't
> > want it.
> >

> The US hobbyist market is not great. But we have the big guns for
> exposure: scale and linuxworld as you pointed out. The google summer
> of code is a big deal.

Let's not forget that quite a lot of Europeans participate in GSoC!

Europeans aren't that bound to MS as many people tend to think also ....
the Netherlands have been braking grounds in the past ... but have been
taking by with several other countries ...

BeOS made big history but vanished a while back (dispite the hardcore
users ;) ) even though BONE was never released it made it to the user
base, some of us have been running it for quit some time, and still do
for several reasons ...
Even though there aren't to many in favor for ZETA (even if torrents
prove diff) it made it possible to leave a door open for future dev's.
ZETA proved that there can be a future for a BeOS based system, maybe
not a commercial one but even then ...
Things shifted when ZETA came along and BeOS base was moved primarily to
Europe (though the big guns remained in the US). I think this is one of
the reasons that Haiku's base is suffering for the moment in the US.
Doesn't mean it has to keep it this way ... or even has to change in the
future ... nothing wrong in Haiku being Europe based ... many OS's have
seen the light in Europe! SuSE being one ...

I also think that Europeans arn't that 'we must have wat's new now/next'
based as the US (we have quit a number of those here also) ... atleast
that's what we see here/or is my belive from what I gather from US
programs. We tend to be more down to earth ... not being disrispectull
in any way to my US friends ... it's just what I see here or experience
here ... the MS way ... :/

We are used to doing it 'the hard way' ;)

Greetings,

Luc aka Begasus