[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Ari Haviv" <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:43:33 -0400

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 1:09 PM, Michael Phipps
<michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are a couple of challenges. The first is *Getting* name recognition
> (and positive name recognition). LinuxWorld and SCALE are the right things
> for right now. Right market, right expectations. When R1 comes out
> (non-alpha), even, I think that small scale in the US would be better. The
> hobbyist market here is pretty pathetic, honestly. People want their
> computers to DO something, not be a platform for development and learning. I
> think that the US market will need complete solutions. 100 apps. If it can't
> do (nearly) all of what people are using XP or Vista for, they won't want it.

The US hobbyist market is not great. But we have the big guns for
exposure: scale and linuxworld as you pointed out. The google summer
of code is a big deal.
There are also a lot of important universities and you have to get
people at that time and place where they are all together and
receptive to new ideas.
Then there's Bronx Science so you can reach the best and brightest
when they are still in high school. :)