[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:46:58 -0400

I don't really understand why this is, either. But it was always pretty much
true. From the very beginning, there was a lot more interest in Europe than in
the US. That was one of the biggest surprises to me from the beginning. Even
with all of the evangelization that we did in the US (and I think that we did
more here than in Europe), we never really got a lot of traction.

I *know* that there is a large market here. People *hate* Windows, both for
its' low quality and for Microsoft's monopolistic and just out and out wrong
business practices. The problem, I think, is that people are looking for a
complete solution. Linux has been promising it for 10 years now and people, I
think, just despair of anything ever coming out.

That is part of the reason that, early in the project, I pushed very hard to
keep a low profile. I am believe in under promising and over delivering.
Unfortunately, I also found out how the press can sometimes take quotes out of
context.

Anyway - I think that the people in the US who might be interested and capable
of helping are working too many hours already at their day jobs. Like me, for
example. :-)