[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: "Michael Phipps" <michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:09:57 -0400

I was an Amiga guy, and I was always very frustrated by the lack of other
Amigans. Back in the early 80's, there was certainly no clear adoption of the
PC. Apple ][ was huge, at least in my area. Wintel became popular for a lot of
reasons. I think that the biggest ones were poor advertising (most people asked
me what my Omega computer was) and instability and stupidity on the part of
other manufacturers. Commodore had a great market and plan with the C64. They
totally wasted all of their brand name recognition with crap products
(Commodore + 4, for example) and overpricing (Amiga 1000).

I think that geography might be part of it, too. Back in the early 80's, it was
easy to find people who had a computer the same as yours - there were only a
few types and finding people was easy. As the PC started to win more and more
marketshare, it was very hard to find people and that accelerated the decline.
In Europe, esp in the 80s when it was split east vs west, it seems that there
was a lot more access due to higher population densities. That's only opinion,
of course, since I had never been there.

So, to keep this relevant. :-)

There are a couple of challenges. The first is *Getting* name recognition (and
positive name recognition). LinuxWorld and SCALE are the right things for right
now. Right market, right expectations. When R1 comes out (non-alpha), even, I
think that small scale in the US would be better. The hobbyist market here is
pretty pathetic, honestly. People want their computers to DO something, not be
a platform for development and learning. I think that the US market will need
complete solutions. 100 apps. If it can't do (nearly) all of what people are
using XP or Vista for, they won't want it.

Now, of course, different people use Windows for different things. But I think
that you would need to get to the point where a lot of people can make the
switch.

The good news is that there is a lot of source code and a lot of documentation
about how to get those apps, not to mention a lot of people who have already
created those apps. Haiku is still, by far, IMHO, the best C++ dev platform.

Michael