[openbeos] Re: WalterCon 2008: Change of Plans

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:13:27 +0200

Hi,

Jorge Mare wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 3:36 AM, Ralf Schülke <teammaui@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:48:59 +0200, Michael Phipps <
> > michael.phipps@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >>  Incidentally, the first few WalterCon's were self supporting (or very
> >> close to it). The org spent very little on them, except for things
> >> like the projector (which, of course, Haiku, Inc. still has).
> >
> > So look in the futures, When planing a WalterCon , look where the most
> > Haiku developer living and then now start a regestration etc...
>

> My first recommendation to Haiku back in 2006 was to move WC to Europe.
> The answer was a resounding "no way"; but as it turns out, the inevitable
> is happening (the demographics are overwhelming).

It's surprising me actually. I can't really figure out why that is.

> For all intent and purposes, BG is the de facto Haiku conference, and I
> don't think that will change that, at least not for the foreseeable
> future, if ever.
>
> WC could come back to life as the US-based conference, but only to the
> extent that the community in this part of the world shows interest in
> making it happen; if there is indifference, then it will not happen.

I agree with you, Koki. I hope you are not sad about the current lack of
interest from your side of the pond. Or lets say the current lack of
motivation and or time to put in the effort. I know you had great hopes and
plans for reviving WalterCon.

Best regards,
-Stephan