[openbeos] Re: New website home page mockup

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (a.k.a. Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 07:07:30 -0700

Hi Urias, Jonas & Tom,

Jonas Sundström wrote:
"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Also, the description of Haiku in the upper left corner seems like a waste of precious space. People who visit the site often will not need to read that - it should
be replaced with a "What is Haiku" link or something IMO.

We need the frontpage to inspire curiosity in first-time visitors, and if possible, get them hooked on Haiku. If a person starts reading the intro blurb (and likes it), he/she might just stay long enough to figure out what other link to click: screenshots, general architecture, team page or whatever one might want to know as a new-comer. I think it would be a mistake to not have any easy content on the frontpage. It's like free sausage snippets at the supermarket.

The description may be obvious for many of us, but as Jonas points out, it is necessary for those who do not know what Haiku is (hopefully there will be more of those in the future :-).

Thom Holwerda wrote:
While I really like this mockup (clean and to the point), I really think
Haiku should more strongly emphasize its heritage (BeOS). Since most of the
potential initial userbase will consist of die-hard BeOS fans such as
myself, emphasizing this part of Haiku's past is critical, I think.

Hi Thom. :-)

As written in that brief intro, we are inspired by the Be Operating System. :-)

The BeOS heritage will be in the FAQ (if it isn't already there).

Koki