[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 18:02:17 +0200

Hi,

> > http://bug-nordic.org/iconcontest/
>
> Excellent work!

I second that! Nice to see so much help!!

> Content-wise, it's very interesting to compare
> the results when switched to 16px icons on BeOS R5 blue. Only
> McClintock (sp?) and Tango are nice and crisp - the others are
> too blurry at the moment.

This result is unfortunately a bit distorted. The Tango icons have special
versions for the 16x16 size. The PNGs just for that are larger than my
vector icons. And the Mc Clintock icons are scaled down bitmaps from larger
renderings. The small icons from my set are actual exports from
Icon-O-Matic, rendered at this size. Now, I know this doesn't change the
fact the slightest bit, that special tweaked bitmap icons look crisper. I
should probably explore the potential of my own format some more, since it
would allow to store a complete separate icon for the smaller sizes. I was
not sure which route I should take implementation-wise. Since this could be
solved either with the existing Level of Detail filter, or with the yet not
so useful "Rounding" option. In any case, I just wanted to let you know.
Maybe we should at least render the other sets at target resolution,
instead of providing scaled down bitmaps, just to be fair. :-)

Best regards,
-Stephan