[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:22:45 +0200

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:12:04 +0200, Cian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

US = United States, I don't think I used the word to mean a group of people
in this section... And I really can't remember, but I believe there was
effective free reign granted. All I can see on the website is that if you
got permission you had to state you'd got it. Now, who you'd ask for
permission now is another story entirely, I don't know the icon rights went
with the code to Palm and hence Access; or stayed with Be which appears to
have liquidated entirely by this stage.

Use of the artwork would never have been granted to any competing products which is essentially what Haiku is. Even if Be was very liberal in its use policy that does not in anyway mean that subsequent trademark owners have to follow the same policy. It is quite possible that Access as trademark holders may respond favourably to a request to use the artwork. Anyone who does wish to use the artwork should definitely contact a lawyer in advance. But to be honest the icons are very much 1998 and there is nothing wrong with updating them both to be more modern but also more in tune with the rest of Haiku.

Charlie