[openbeos] Re: Icon Artwork

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:03:27 +0200 CEST

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> simple as that. For this first step, it will not be possible for the
> application to get at the actual vector data, but scalable icons per
> se would

But it would be pretty easy to add another call dedicated for this;
it's just the question what format we're going to use then, and that's
a good reason to wait for this API extension until after R1.

[...]
> SVG icon). I never understood why they didn't go with this simple and
> fully
> compatible solution. If anyone knows, please speak up... :-) Anyways,
> with
> Haiku, I'm sure we will go the extra steps to make for a smooth
> transition
> towards vector icons.

I think for legal reasons. At least I heard they wouldn't own any
changes they made to Be's libraries; they would have needed to give
them back to the IP owner.
That's why there is a libzeta.so in the first place with annyoing
replacements for find_directory() etc. (since it still has the same
signature, there is really no reason to replace it instead of fixing
the original).

Bye,
   Axel.