[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 18:14:10 -0400

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Focus shift?

I wouldn't call this a focus shift at all.  There are several
components Haiku already uses to increase its scope.. eg, the FreeBSD
driver compatibility layer.  numerous 3rd party libraries, such as
Freetype, AAG.

Qt is just another tool in our belt.  Like several people said
earlier, it's very possible to implement Qt in a way that it performs
better on Haiku than on Linux.

The common thread I've seen between all these components is : "Does
this software fit into Haiku's design?  Will it perform well?  Will it
be (mostly) transparent to the user?"

We just need to take steps to encourage new developers to use the Be
API when writing completely new software.  This should be fairly easy,
as the API's are very similar and Haiku's API would still maintain
OS-specific features

--mmadia