[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 17:40:13 -0700

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Jason Todd Slack-Moehrle
<mailinglists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. Since Qt (by Trolltech/Nokia) is now LGPL, what about a port of Qt to run
> on Haiku? I thought about this a while ago. Would it be beneficial? I could
> take on this task.

IMO (and i'm not a Haiku developer): Beneficial, no, certainly not...
useful perhaps for porting. As Ryan indicates, UI widget
toolkit/frameworks aren't terribly desirable. On the other hand, it is
my opinion that there are projects out there that can benefit from
these frameworks where a perfect Haiku experience isn't necessary, nor
worth the effort for a quick and dirty port of some random
application.

> 4. What is the best e-mail client now? Post Master was my favorite. maybe I
> could get Post master going again....

Sadly, I think the Postmaster developer was contacted already, and he
has indicated that the source for that application have been lost
irretrievably at this point.

> 5. I have a new Lenovo S10 netbook, 320gb, 2.5gb RAM. I am wondering how
> Haiku would run on this! Has anybody tried?

I'm not familiar with the hardware - can you give a better description
of the various chipsets?

Video chip, Network chip, Audio chip, etc. would be useful. The disk
size and RAM size are not an issue.

- Urias