[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: Karsten Heimrich <host.haiku@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 00:03:27 +0100

Hi,

Matt Madia schrieb:
On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM, Jorge G. Mare <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Focus shift?

I wouldn't call this a focus shift at all.  There are several
components Haiku already uses to increase its scope.. eg, the FreeBSD
driver compatibility layer.  numerous 3rd party libraries, such as
Freetype, AAG.

Qt is just another tool in our belt.  Like several people said
earlier, it's very possible to implement Qt in a way that it performs
better on Haiku than on Linux.

The common thread I've seen between all these components is : "Does
this software fit into Haiku's design?  Will it perform well?  Will it
be (mostly) transparent to the user?"

We just need to take steps to encourage new developers to use the Be
API when writing completely new software.

Why?

Since not all devs can live from just love and fresh air, some of them have to produce commercial apps to get money to buy food etc. (even if it's just pizza :) ). So that said, why should one be so dumb and choose a platform specific API to develop a new app tied for that OS?

With Qt beeing good at what it is, seamless platform integration and a great API to develop, I would choose it whenever I can. One just needs to implement the platform specific parts to support more advanced features the OS provides. IMHO Haiku can only win from a properly done Qt port.

Regards,
Karsten