[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "Christoph .J Thompson" <cjsthompson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 15:16:33 +0100

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:25:45 -0400
Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In my opinion porting such widget frameworks is just an invitation for
> a bunch of sub-par ports of Linux software. I don't want to see Haiku
> become the equivalent of another Linux distro. Therefore I think it is
> better to have native apps, and ports should only be used to tide us
> over. I think one of the major problems with Linux is having too many
> options and therefore no consistency. The whole GTK/Qt/Motif/etc GUI
> thing is just one example of many.

Consistency is a big issue in itself. But that's not the only one: When
every developer will have the choice of their favorite
toolkit/library/framework/scripting language/bindings of the day ported
to Haiku it will be as bloated as Linux and Windows as far as minimum
hardware requirements.

--
Christoph .J Thompson <cjsthompson@xxxxxxxxx>