[haiku-development] Re: Haiku, Qt and apps, oh my!

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 02:18:57 +0100 CET

> 1. Since Qt (by Trolltech/Nokia) is now LGPL,
> what about a port of Qt to run on Haiku? I
> thought about this a while ago. Would it be
> beneficial? I could take on this task.

I´d love to have more applications available,
even with some temporary inconsistencies.

Perhaps I´m naive, but I think having Qt could
work as a catalyst or bridge, paradoxically
pulling Qt-based apps over to the Haiku API
faster, not having to port them completely.
Faster time to market.

I believe that having something to show, no
matter how incomplete, usually generates the
most interest, among users and developers alike.
Perhaps even from the other side of the porting
fence. (Qt/KDE/etc)

With more interest there will be more people to
work on making the ports well behaved Haiku software.

/Jonas.