[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:32:04 -0400

>On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 12:59:10PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> anyway, i'm not suggesting we pick an existing API. i'm suggesting we
>> use the existing set to *QUICKLY* answer the questions on the agenda,
>> thus allowing us to move on to phase 2 of GMPI.

One other thing. The goal of a "review oriented" approach is primarily
to define an API that meets current models, and takes into account
issues with them. A nod towards future extensibility is a good thing,
but i don't think it should be more than a nod. Having a
cross-platform, non-proprietary, widely adopted API would be a much
much better place to be in than where we are now, even if it doesn't
do more than a union of existing APIs.

btw, to play my own devils advocate: look at what we've achieved
already. the discussions here to date have fleshed out issues that
existing APIs have barely touched upon (mostly because of their
closed, single platform design space).

--p