[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:44:43 -0400

>With respect to Angus' comments about VST, well, I'm not really sure what
>you're proposing.  Using VST as a basis is not an option, Steinberg has
>already clearly stated that.  The owners of DX and AU are open to that
>sort of thing, though, so those are more viable.  But even if we could
>start from VST, what is it that you want to get from that?  I know that

i don't think angus was suggesting that, and i know i wasn't. i'd like
to read his response as supporting the idea i was proposing, which
could be summed up as:

      "answer the questions on the agenda by surveying other plugin
      APIs, rather than from scratch, then toss out the crap, uniquify
      the common stuff, and add whatever is missing. do this because
      the existing APIs work, albeit with various shortcomings."

that way, we can be arguing about a complete set of answers to the
agenda, rather than doing it from scratch.

--p