[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:49:49 -0400

>If we make comments on current set of SDK's we will arrive in Januaray 2004
>without having done nothing. And maybe we will have brought more discredit
>to the GMPI group because some too much hard criticism about major SDK's .

its mid-september. the mailing list started in mid-february. that's 7
months so far. we've actually done a lot, but progress has slowed down
a lot as time drags on.

i suspect that if people were motivated, we could be done with a
review in 4 weeks. i suspect Marc P. would be happy to do the
CoreAudio review, i'd happily do the VST one although i'm not the most
obviously qualified person to tackle it, i'm sure Steve H. would be
willing to tackle the LADSPA one (the simplest of the lot). that means
we would need reviewers for:

      * TDM
      * RTAS
      * MAS
      * DirectX
      * Rewire? DirectConnect?

the reviews could be posted anonymously if people are worried about
corporate relations and all that. or you can forward them all to me
and i'll rewrite them in my own style. i have no bridges to burn :)

>> and what's in that base?
>
>This is simple to find if you are focused on a minimal goal : host (2 tracks
>, 1 master) wants to insert a plug-in (Delay / Gain) . If you do that , you
>get your base. I (and most of the people there) can program that badly in 2

the point is: loads of people have already done this!! we've got lots
of examples of what happens when people sit down and do this. the
problem: nobody thinks that any of the results are so much better than
any of the others that its worth supporting as a GMPI-like standard
(well, this is one of the problems). this is despite significant
issues with various aspects of each API, and the general proprietary
nature of just about all of them. why would the result of a group of
people from this list working on the exact same problem be any
different? i think that the last thing we want is another plugin API
written without a clear model of what the goals are.

--p