[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 22:25:49 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 22, 2003 8:52 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Vincent Burel wrote:
>
> > > I disagree. Commenting on existing SDKs will allow us a good overview
of
> > > their REAL shortcomings, rather than their lack of corner-case and
> > > cloud-cuckoo-land functionality. The undisputable fact is that even
the
> > > SDK that is regarded as one of the most flawed and primitive - VST -
is
> > > able to deliver 85% of what both vendor and customer want 85% of the
time;

> > on wich planet ! ? :-)
>
> Seriously. Ignoring stability problems due largely to spec incompleteness,
> and non-technical issues (piracy-related market problems) what is VST
> unable to deliver THAT HOST VENDORS AND CUSTOMERS REALLY WANT?

I don't know if you can ignore all the things around VST SDK's .

> And if those problems are so bad, why are probably >85% of DAW plugins
> today written natively as VST or something similar, and most that are not
> are done that way for marketing reasons (high end plugs existing only as
> RTAS or TDM).

yes ! because this brings money and everybody know that a technology wich
brings money will stay alive longer than an other one which brings no money.

> There are a few things that suck about it, sure... things it is really
> unable to deliver to customers that we can reasonably forsee that
> customers will want (top of the list would be a dreadful implementation of
> surround, and a total absence of support for internationalization). But
> that kind of thing is easily fixable.

Let's do that ! (Steinberg will certainely be happy to get this correction
for free  ! :-)

Vincent Burel