[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:59:10 -0400

>Well, i'm not agree with doing that. Criticizing actual SDK's will be long
>and useless again. Everybody together know the advantages and problems of
>all SDK's, that's the definition of this group  ! And to use this experience
>can be done right now. Taking a source base, in the actual set of SDK's, is
>not possible because there will be always someone to say "Ho my god , not
>this one" .

somebody has said "ho my god, not this one" with respect to just about
every proposal that's been made here. the fact that this happens is
not a reason to accept or reject a particular methodology - its a
function of the bell curve and other statistical facts of life. and
anyway, i'm not suggesting we pick an existing API. i'm suggesting we
use the existing set to *QUICKLY* answer the questions on the agenda,
thus allowing us to move on to phase 2 of GMPI.

>That i proposed is to build this base ourself first, all together. It will

and what's in that base? that's been the whole point all along here:
to define what is *in* the base. right now, we're just waving magic
wands in the air and coming with stuff out of "thin air" (actually,
out of existing experience and projected needs). i'm suggesting we
define the base by looking specifically at the existing APIs,
enumerating what's good, what's bad, what's to be rejected, what
cannot be lost. i have a feeling that this will be a faster process
than the one we are using now.

after that, there are the harder questions to solve:

      * do we use hungarian coding for naming?
      * are all function names prefixed by "g"?
      * how many spaces per tab?
      * should opening curly braces be on their own line?

etc. :))

--p