[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:38:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Vincent Burel wrote:

> If we make comments on current set of SDK's we will arrive in Januaray 2004
> without having done nothing. And maybe we will have brought more discredit
> to the GMPI group because some too much hard criticism about major SDK's .

I disagree. Commenting on existing SDKs will allow us a good overview of
their REAL shortcomings, rather than their lack of corner-case and
cloud-cuckoo-land functionality. The undisputable fact is that even the
SDK that is regarded as one of the most flawed and primitive - VST - is
able to deliver 85% of what both vendor and customer want 85% of the time;
were it not for a small number of glaring design flaws and easily
addressable shortcomings, this could be 95 and 95.

Other SDKs have some "nice" features missing in VST, but so far the level
of adoption of those features by hosts and plugins is virtually zero and
there just doesn't seem to be customer demand for it.

The undisputed fact is that the preferred native development platform is
VST. I think it would be an interesting exercise for a few people to look
at VST, fix the things they see as the most glaring errors, and see what
we get.

Regards,
        Angus.