[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:41:31 -0400

>I'm also against to review or use any existing SDK's because this is not the
>best way to share the experience of the GMPI people group. To design and
                                                            ^^^^^^^^^

that is what we are attempting to do.

>program a base minimal SDK would be the only one way to share really our
^^^^^^^^

that is also what we are attempting to do, after we have a basic
design in place.

the question at the moment is: what process works best for collecting
requirements? i think there is empirical evidence that the method we
have been using is running out of steam. your alternative, which i'll
describe with the inaccurate but short phrase "lets write some code",
doesn't address *how* we go about figuring out just what the GMPI API
should do.

i would guess that many people are itching to write some code. most of
us appear to think its a good idea to understand what we're trying to
write before we start, not because this is always necessary
(particularly not when doing something innovative), but precisely
because GMPI is **NOT** innovative in any technical sense. we're not
going to "invent" anything, what we're going to do is old news from a
programmers perspective. it is new only in the sense of distribution &
control . "lets write some code" has to be a part of the process, but
i don't believe its time for it just yet - i believe that any code we
write now will have to be rewritten quite unnecessarily.

GMPI appears to me to be born from two distinct feelings:

     * the control issues with proprietary plugin APIs
     * technical issues with existing plugin APIs

the control issue is addressed merely by the existence of this
forum. the technical issues might come to light better by talking
about them in the context of specific APIs.

--p