[gmpi] Re: Out-of-Band: suggestion for rethink

  • From: "Angus F. Hewlett" <amulet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:27:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Vincent Burel wrote:

> > Seriously. Ignoring stability problems due largely to spec incompleteness,
> > and non-technical issues (piracy-related market problems) what is VST
> > unable to deliver THAT HOST VENDORS AND CUSTOMERS REALLY WANT?

> I don't know if you can ignore all the things around VST SDK's .

I also can't ignore that VST basically works (mostly), and is the de facto
standard.

> > And if those problems are so bad, why are probably >85% of DAW plugins
> > today written natively as VST or something similar, and most that are not
> > are done that way for marketing reasons (high end plugs existing only as
> > RTAS or TDM).

> yes ! because this brings money and everybody know that a technology wich
> brings money will stay alive longer than an other one which brings no money.

Sorry, can you explain a bit more?

> Let's do that ! (Steinberg will certainely be happy to get this correction
> for free  ! :-)

I am not talking about backwards compatibility with VST, and I don't think
Steinberg are interested in the type of design changes and corrections
that the GMPI group is likely to want. I'm simply talking about following
the basic principles of an approach that we all know does a fairly good
job of satisfying developer and customer needs.

Regards,
        Angus.