[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:06:15 +0100

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 01:18:25 -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> At the risk of over-repeating: I would be perfectly willing to accept
> compelling arguments that MIDI messages should not be allowed in the
> GMPI graph, but so far the arguments have not been compelling, and
> frankly have tended to be correlated with complaints about unrelated
> perceived problems with MIDI per se, some of them based on
> misunderstandings, and some of them irrelevant to the GMPI situation.
> As I have worked hard today to demonstrate.  I am .not. proposing to
> replace the other GMPI host-plug communication messages with MIDI, so
> there is no loss of the functionality that the anti-MIDI people like
> on the table, I am just unconvinced by the unsupported statements
> that transcoding will automatically be perfect, and that the two
> kinds of messages cannot exist side by side.

Its not that they can't coexist, its just cleaner and easier if they dont.
As I, and many others, believe that its unnecesary, surely you can
understand why we'd prefer not to have them?

that claims that receiving MIDI bytes is unneccesary are hardly
unsupported, there are existing systems that have done this for some time.