[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:17:14 -0700

Could someone kindly illustrate exactly how this per-voice/per-note parameter bundling and voice-id concept would work? I mean, in a basic music production studio situation, with a physical MIDI velocity-sensitive keyboard controller driving music synthesizers in a GMPI graph.

-- Chris G.

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:15:26PM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
Someone has to suggest the most radical option....

NO MIDI, we're done.

I'm right there with you.

 What am I saying?, Convert MIDI controlers to GMPI parameters (at the graph
 'edge').

 e.g. MIDI Pitch Bends get converted to GMPI parameter-change events, if you
 have a parameter called "Channel[0]/Pitch-Bend" (or whatever) it receives
 the pitch bends.

Further: Each parameter might indicate a default CC #. The host can map incoming MIDI to a plugin using the default CC mapping. Or you can have the host remap CCs, if you prefer. The actual CC data gets no further than the host. Th ehost turns it into GMPI.

 Note-ons?, they're just 3 parameters 'bundled': Note-on, Pitch, Velocity,
 addressed to a specific voice.

Why those three? What if I want per-note pan, filter cuoff and PWM? Let's not hardcode pitch and velocity as anything special. They are just more parameters.

A note-on is an arbitrary bundle of parameters with a special note-on
meaning on-top.

Back to XAP for a minute :).  We theorized that a plugin might expose a
bunch of per-channel pramaters, like filter cutoff, etc.  But a plugin
might also expose a bunch of per-voice parameters.  Those parameters each
apply to each voice.  So for example:

A synth with no velocity sensitivity would have a per-voice pitch control.

A sytnth which is velocity sensitive and had per-voice filter cutoff would
have per-voice pitch, velocity, and cutoff controls.

Plugins get to decide exactly how many parameters they expose per-voice, and how to treat them. Some parameters only make sense at the beginning of a note (velocity for example). Some parameters make sense continuously (pitch or volume for example).

With a voice-id, the host/user can manipulate each voice independantly.

flame-retardent pants firmly affixed
:)