[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:28:14 +0200

On Monday, June 14, 2004 8:48 PM [GMT+1=CET],
Chris Grigg <xxxgmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> MIDI just does not map to some of these things.  You can force it to map
>> by futzing with pitch-bend, but even that is not perfect.  I want to be
>> able to control a number of parameters per-voice.  I just can't do that
>> in MIDI without setting up a channel for each voice.
>
> So set up a channel for each voice.  What's the problem, since your
> objective isn't prohibited, just slightly cumbersome?

Why go to the next city by car, if you can go there by foot?!?

>>  > could be supported using some other protocol than MIDI. That doesn't
>>>  mean MIDI should no longer be supported.
>>
>> Why put MIDI into every plugin?  Why not let the hosts be *REALLY* good
>> at MIDI and let the plugins just not worry about it.  Every plugin gets
>> simpler by that little bit.
>
> That work has already been done by what, hundreds of plug developers,
> so for them there is no savings.  You'd have to do work to take it
> out.

Is that so?
Personally, I wouldn't use the MIDI protocol directly in my code. Sure, I
would have the concepts of "note start", "note update" and "note stop", but
that's basically it. All the rest is one of these with attached properties.
And of course, in a host program (of today, hopefully not the future ones),
the incoming and outgoing MIDI messages are converted to this system. I
would think that surely most commercial developers have a system like that
too, no?
Koen