[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 14:02:36 -0700

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 10:51:20AM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> To clarify that, could you please
>   a) in the knob part of the example, make the controller address a
>   particular note instance (currently from your wording I guess the
>   destination CC must apply to all notes played by the whole synth);

This is hard to do from a controller.  Since voices are totally dynamic,
and there isn't a direct mapping from MIDI, I'd say you just don't.  MIDI
hardware works as it has worked before.  But when you sequence, you know
the notes that are being played, and you can sequence per-note changes.

>   b) add MIDI pitch wheel;

This would opertae just like it does today, a message would be sent to the
soft instrument causing a pitch-bend on all the voices.

>   c) make P multitimbral.

Set up a mapping of incoming MIDI-channels to the instrument's channels.
For example, if I play channel 3 on my MIDI keyboard, I get channel 1 of
the softsynth.  If I play channel 4 on my MIDI kb, I get channel 2 of the
softsynth.  If I play channel 5 on my MIDI kb, I might get a different
soft-synth altogether.

That mapping is the host's business.

The main problem I have with MIDI is the fact that every instrument that
handles MIDI has 2 sources for parameters changes.  MIDI and the host.  If
the host does not "trap" MIDI and arbitrate it, then the whole point of
pullign parameters OUT of the DSP is gone.

The host is the arbiter of parameter changes.  MIDI events are (mostly)
parameter changes.  The host must therefore arbitrate MIDI.  So why should
plugins have to handle MIDI?

tim