[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 20:57:24 -0700

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:52:27PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
> existing plug, have already been incurred so there is no opportunity
> for savings at this point.

Saving complexity is at least as valuable as saving time to write code.

> Well, if you're going to support sysex delivery to the plug, which is
> not undoable and can change plug state including parameters, then

Yeah, SysEx is pretty fugly.  I'd really like to see us expose SysEx as a
blob.  It *is* undoable, because you can save the old blob before writing
it.

> I think that depends completely on how it's presented in UI and
> documentation (I can move a Finder selection with a keyboard -or- a
> mouse, I can set an onscreen fader by dragging -or- using my control
> surface fader, etc. etc. etc.), and in any event not more confusing

As long as a MIDI fader is exactly equal to a mouse move.  You'd sure find
it bizarre if this happened:

* delete a file in Finder with the "Delete" key on the keyboard
* undo it
* delete a file by dragging it to the trash
* can't undo it!

That's hypothetical.  You'd sure find that awkward, wouldn't you?  Mouse
an keyboard are two different input (event) sources operating on the the
OS (host) managed file (parameter).

> than having their familiar MIDI gear start breaking and behaving
> unpredictably.

Come on now, you're attacking something that we've already agreed will not
happen.  That's no more fair than me saying that we can't use MIDI between
plugins because the DIN cable is too slow.  Non sequitur.