[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:52:27 -0700

Tim said:

MIDI ...can't handle blobs.

Sorry, this is not really true; see sys ex.

If plugins support MIDI directly, then every plugin has to have MIDI
parsing code.  This equates to wasted time, memory, and complexity.

Faulty logic, I think. No plug is forced to use MIDI, your plugs for example I presume never will, and they will therefore never incur these costs. And for those a plug authors who -elect- to process MIDI, those costs a) can't be seen as an imposition, and b) for existing plug, have already been incurred so there is no opportunity for savings at this point.

We've been discussing a model where the host manages all parameters.  MIDI
would either bypass that mechanism, or would require more support to map
incoming CCs to parameters (so the host can snoop incoming CCs), or would
require some sort of extra helper API as part of GMPI.

Well, if you're going to support sysex delivery to the plug, which is not undoable and can change plug state including parameters, then you've already made that whole picture pretty impure, so it seems a little odd to rely on this as a justification.

Having multiple control protocols is confusing to developers.

They're a fairly smart lot in my experience. They'll get over the confusion, though if and only if we're able to provide them an understandable-enough conceptual model.

Having
multiple control protocols that behave differently is confusing to users.

I think that depends completely on how it's presented in UI and documentation (I can move a Finder selection with a keyboard -or- a mouse, I can set an onscreen fader by dragging -or- using my control surface fader, etc. etc. etc.), and in any event not more confusing than having their familiar MIDI gear start breaking and behaving unpredictably.

-- Chris G.