[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 01:18:25 -0700

Tim said:

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 07:52:27PM -0700, Chris Grigg wrote:
 existing plug, have already been incurred so there is no opportunity
 for savings at this point.

Saving complexity is at least as valuable as saving time to write code.

Since you are not answering the point I made, I will assume you agree with it. Your further point is fine as far as it goes, but saving complexity by omitting necessary functionality isn't efficiency, it's cheating on the requirements. ;-)

> Well, if you're going to support sysex delivery to the plug, which is
not undoable and can change plug state including parameters, then

Yeah, SysEx is pretty fugly. I'd really like to see us expose SysEx as a blob. It *is* undoable, because you can save the old blob before writing it.

Then I don't understand why you say other kinds of MIDI messages sent to the plug would -not- be undoable, which seemed to be one of your main arguments against it. Can you please explain what in this regard is special about SysEx msgs vs. other MIDI messages? Or have you changed your mind about that? There have been a lot of messages today, it's hard to tell.

At the risk of over-repeating: I would be perfectly willing to accept compelling arguments that MIDI messages should not be allowed in the GMPI graph, but so far the arguments have not been compelling, and frankly have tended to be correlated with complaints about unrelated perceived problems with MIDI per se, some of them based on misunderstandings, and some of them irrelevant to the GMPI situation. As I have worked hard today to demonstrate. I am .not. proposing to replace the other GMPI host-plug communication messages with MIDI, so there is no loss of the functionality that the anti-MIDI people like on the table, I am just unconvinced by the unsupported statements that transcoding will automatically be perfect, and that the two kinds of messages cannot exist side by side. It will take more detailed discussion to demonstrate or refute those claims.

Although, to sort of cut to the chase, ultimately I fail to see how truly outlawing MIDI message bytes in the graph is even remotely possible, since the blob parameter datatype exists. If we fail to specify MIDI message transport, don't you think the .first. thing host and plug developers will do is to find some bastardized way to send MIDI message bytes to plugs via blobs? I sure do, especially since it's trivially easy: All they have to do is expose an input blob parameter named myPlug/MidiIn. So really, who are we trying to kid about outlawing MIDI in the graph, anyway?

> I think that depends completely on how it's presented in UI and
 documentation (I can move a Finder selection with a keyboard -or- a
 mouse, I can set an onscreen fader by dragging -or- using my control
 surface fader, etc. etc. etc.), and in any event not more confusing

As long as a MIDI fader is exactly equal to a mouse move. You'd sure find it bizarre if this happened:

* delete a file in Finder with the "Delete" key on the keyboard
* undo it
* delete a file by dragging it to the trash
* can't undo it!

That's hypothetical.  You'd sure find that awkward, wouldn't you?  Mouse
an keyboard are two different input (event) sources operating on the the
OS (host) managed file (parameter).

Sure, I'd find it awkward, but if that's how the computer worked, and I couldn't change it, and it was the only way I could use both my mouse and the keyboard to get my work done, then I'd curse the thing but learn to get on with my work with it that way. But the analogy is, as you acknowledge, strained, and I'm confident a much less conflicted model than that can be found for GMPI. And I'm much less concerned with total absolute host efficiency than I am with giving the largest number of users and developers the functionality they want -- especially if GMPI is also able to enable the small number of the most discerning and visionary ones to go farther so they can create the small-number fringe things that they want to.

Tim said:
> than having their familiar MIDI gear start breaking and behaving
unpredictably.

Come on now, you're attacking something that we've already agreed will not happen. That's no more fair than me saying that we can't use MIDI between plugins because the DIN cable is too slow. Non sequitur.

Sorry, no, I have not agreed to accept what amounts to mere handwaving that transcoding will automatically be perfect. The burden of proof is on those who want to go that way, the questions have not been answered.

I should mention that I am getting quite a bit of off-list communication -- phone calls, even -- that is very much in agreement with Vincent's assessment of the situation. These people do not want to get drawn into this discussion mainly because they do not want to be disrespected and shouted down for their opinions. Which I fully appreciate.

-- Chris G.