[gmpi] Re: 3.15 MIDI

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:29:11 -0700

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:23:34AM +0100, Martijn Sipkema wrote:
> > We've both exposed a personal requirement.  I've all backed up mine.  You
> > haven't.  The best I can get from you is that "this is how it's always
> > been".  That's not good enough.
>
> Well, I actually disagree. I don't think you've really backed up why MIDI

MIDI is not expressive enough to be the main communication protocol for
plugins.  It can't handle strings, it can't handle floats, it can't handle
blobs.

If plugins support MIDI directly, then every plugin has to have MIDI
parsing code.  This equates to wasted time, memory, and complexity.

We've been discussing a model where the host manages all parameters.  MIDI
would either bypass that mechanism, or would require more support to map
incoming CCs to parameters (so the host can snoop incoming CCs), or would
require some sort of extra helper API as part of GMPI.

Having multiple control protocols is confusing to developers.  Having
multiple control protocols that behave differently is confusing to users.
Ideally, GMPI will avoid those things.

There's just a few reasons not to include MIDI as a raw protocol.

For Chris G. - SysEx can and should be passed to plugins essentially
unmolested.  That's essentially a blob parameter to start with, and maps
nicely onto the parameter system we have been discussing.

> used the words "MIDI is a proven (industry) standard".

...with well-known shortcomings.  Be fair.

> > WHY would you prefer it?  Because you have code to do it already?  Because
> > you already understand it?  Or is there some *real* thing that this allows
> > you to do that the other option doesn't?
>
> An example, MIDI allows realtime messages to occur within other messages.
> The exact position of such a realtime message might very wel get lost in
> translation.

?  Every message in GMPI is timestamped.  Positioning is absolutely
maintained.

> > Umm, do you write software?  Are you any good at it?  No offense meant,
> > but really, it just stands up and SCREAMS at me "BAD BAD BAD".
>
> Do you have any good reason besides questioning my ability to write
> good software? and telling me you are obviously right and I would see
> it too if only I were a better programmer?

We've been spouting reasons all day.  I apologize for attacking your
skills, that was wrong.  However, it boggles my mind when something that
jumps out at me as bad design is praised.  I just don't get it.