[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: Mike Berry <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:13:27 -0600

Paul Davis wrote:

I am certainly not against a multiplatform approach at all. I see it as
a major, major plus to getting GMPI adopted. This is despite the fact that my product is a single platform host.
However, I simply don't see how bundling a cross-platform GUI toolkit furthers the direct aims of GMPI. Here are some possible plugin developers:

[ ... an excellent analysis elided ... ]

the problem with this analysis is that more or less everything in it
applies equally to the DSP part of the plugins.

so whither GMPI?

I would disagree that it applies equally to the DSP portion. GUI is probably the most OS-dependent portion on any platform. On the other hand, it should be easy to write a DSP which has no host-specific calls in it at all (except via linkage to runtime libraries and such). I think a much more salient issue would be processor specific code (SSE and such).

We decided that GMPI would not have cross-platform binaries. I also interpret this to mean that there are no requirements that binaries for one platform are guaranteed to run under emulation on other platforms. That would be an unreasonable burden on everyone.
GMPI cannot solve the (market?, resource?) issue that plugin authors often do not release plugins for linux. They often don't even release plugins for either OSX or Windows, if they target the other. What GMPI should do is not stand in the way of cross-platform development. The API should be platform neutral. Whether individual authors/companies decide to target more than one platform will always be their decision.
I'm sorry if you feel that GMPI will be a failure if you cannot host every GMPI plugin on every platform under emulation. I think we will have won if an author, once she realizes that her OSX plugin is a hit, can decide to find a Windows machine to compile the same code for Windows, and do the same thing on a linux machine. But there is no way that we can force her to make that decision.

-- Mike Berry Adobe Systems