[gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

  • From: "gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <gogins@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 09:47:29 -0400

Obviously I completely agree.

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Mike Berry mberry@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 21:16:02 -0600
To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gmpi] Re: 3.14 UIs

        Why are we worrying about providing a GUI toolkit with GMPI? Or even
specifying one? GMPI is not going to fail or succeed based on the
presence or absence of a provided GUI kit. Being honest, it is not even
going to fail or succeed based on how easy it is to write plugins. It is
going to fail or succeed based on how many hosts decide to support it,
and their decision is not going to be based on the GUI toolkit - it is
going to be based on most of the things that we have been discussing,
including how the API manages communications with the GUI.
        I think that a GUI toolkit is completely irrelevant to GMPI. Writing
user interface on all of the targeted platforms is a VERY well covered
area. I would be completely opposed to this group, or the implementation
group that succeeds us, spending any time creating GUI elements. There
is simply no way that you are going to convince me that an audio API
engineering group should have anything to do with a GUI toolkit.
        If anyone in the group, or anyone else, wishes to write another GUI
toolkit which could be used for GMPI plugins, then have at it. But it is
not relevant to our discussions here.

--
Mike Berry
Adobe Systems