[gameprogrammer] Re: game engine?

  • From: Ryan Hanlon <ryanh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:04:30 -0800

Kevin Fields wrote:

>I tried Blender. I rather like the layout of it, but the controls are very
>not what I'm used to. Hehe...
>I've done a small amount of modelling in SoftImage, LightWave, and 3DS Max,
>and Blender's controls are nowhere near like any of the other three. It was
>weird.

I'm just learning to use Blender myself, and nearly all the tutorials I
read start with "It was so hard to get used to, but once I did, it was
much easier to use."  I guess that makes Blender the "Dvorak" of
modeling/rendering programs.

>Now, if there was some way to remap the shortcut keys to what I'm used to,
>then it'd be easier to learn. But, it really is quite an amazing
>application. Quite frankly, I'm surprised they'd have it out as open sourced
>software considering how much beautiful work can be done with it.
>
>Kevin

It wasn't free initially.  There was a recent effort to buy the
copyright back from investors, in order for the original author to be
able to license it under the GPL. The result was the "Blender
Foundation", which is probably still trying to pay the bill today.  But
it's kind of encouraging to see people working so hard to make sure
freedom and quality don't have to be mutually exclusive :)

Ryan