[gameprogrammer] Re: game engine?

  • From: Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:18:33 -0600

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 10:50 -0700, Ben Kucenski wrote:
> Blender is not a game engine.

Yeah, it is. Blender is a 3D drawing & rendering package, but it also
has a rather nice 3D game engine in it. You can develop using the
drawing part of the tool and play using the engine.

The confusion probably comes from the history of Blender. It was
originally a commercial product. The developers offered to release it as
open source if they were paid, IIRC, $100,000 USD. That amount was
contributed over a few months and the source was opened. But, some parts
of the game engine were licensed from other people and those people
refused to open them. So, the game engine was disabled until those parts
could be rewritten as open source. Now, they are, and Blender is once
again a game engine and 3D drawing package.

> http://sourcecode.icarusindie.com:2004/index.php?sortby=title&dir=sourcecode%2FQuake+3%2F
>
> Quake 3, Half-Life, and other major games have had their source code opened
> for a long time and there's a huge community making mods.

Yep, these are great for learning too. And, the amount of help you can
get from the communities that have grown up around these game engines is
beyond belief.

                Bob Pendleton