[gameprogrammer] Re: game engine?

  • From: "Evan Stone" <recombinantstudios@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 17:22:16 -0800

whoa whoa whoa.... can't we just get along? ;)

Just to clarify a bit here, the Quake 3 *engine* has not been OpenSourced
(yet, as someone pointed out earlier, but will hopefully be in the near-ish
future), but Q1 & Q2 have.

The Quake 3 *SDK* is OpenSource, but does not allow you to actually modify
the engine itself (the same goes for Half-Life 1 & 2).

That said, you still get a hefty chunk of fun out of modding - and you sure
can learn a lot about how those systems work under the hood. That's how I
got bitten by the game programming bug - from working on the Dark Forces Mod
for Jedi Outcast/Academy (both are Q3-based games).

Since the entire Q2 engine has been OpenSourced, that might be a good place
to start.

HTH.

evan stone | recombinant
independent game developer