<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3

  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:16:20 +0200

Am 21:47 19.05.2001 +0200 hat Stephan Grossklass geschrieben:

>>Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:24:45 +0200
>>Subject: <CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3
>
>>Curently I am learning to program under Linux because I
>>like to make a calmira4linux (WindowManager plus Desktop)
>>but not like KDE which is a littlebi to heavy...
>
>Sounds like an interesting project - good luck with that.

Thanks...

>>Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:21:43 -0600 (MDT)
>>From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: <CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3
>
>>Now consider this: My box is running a web, mail and FTP server, and
>>runs X-windows with a rather heavy desktop setup, with Netscape going,
>>and has been up, GUI and all, for over 15 days now. Can you say that of
>>your Microsoft-based OS?
>
>You'd need Win2k to achieve the necessary stability, but with dumb consumer
>grade Windows - no chance. For the servers only, I guess WfW 3.11 would be
>more stable than Win9x/ME ;).

I run the ZB-Server 1.5d with a couple of VB4 CGI's, WinFTPd 2.41
and SLmail 2.0 fw plus wIRCsrv 4.17 since 1997 without any problems. ;-))

>In Win9x there are far too many strange problems which cannot be traced
>back to anything...

Right !

>>Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:38:52 -0600 (MDT)
>>From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
>>Subject: <CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3
>
>>Another ultra-minimal distro that may be interesting is Toms RTBT at
>>http://toms.net/rb.
>
>>It is a super-small compressed distro that fits onto one diskette.
>
>Which is formatted in a 1720 KB format BTW.

Yes, I have downloaded ist and I can not use it... :-P
But it run very fast from the Harddisk.

>>It
>>boots, uncompresses the filesystem into a ramdisk, and operates from
>>there. Everything is in memory, and doesn't touch your drives at all
>>(unless you tell it to). Disk space needed is -0- bytes.
>
>>Takes a minute or two to boot,
>
>On my 386SX notebook, it takes "a bit" longer ;)...

On my Athlon 1,2 GHz with an Ultra-ATA 100 around 9 seconds...  ;-))

Please note, that I use this machine only for Dos-Programming (DJGPP)
and compiling... ;-)) I do not like to wait 19 hours anymore to compile
a 1 MByte EXE. Now it is done in around 3 Minutes.

>Foot notes:
>[1] What about removing that 40 character limit of the command line of
>start menu items? It's quite a severe limitation.

Very good Idea.

> ##########  Get the Power of Debian/GNU-Linux  ##########

Michelle