<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:50:35 -0600 (MDT)

On May 18, Alan Grimes directed electrons to calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>It was cloned from Minix which was cloned from Unix proper (version 7)
>which did indeed come from the '70s. =(

If you read Linux history better, you see that Torvalds had to dump a
lot of the Minix code early on, and as the development went on, more and
more code from Minix got tossed out until no Minix remained.

>(The most recient Linux I had any measure of success with was
>Rednux Lihat 5.0.)

Well that would explain a lot. RH 5.0 is ancient and it wasn't very
good. I remember a lot of frustration with 5.0. RH 6.2 or 7.1 is much
much better.

>I once did that on a sparcstation 5 back in '96... Not that I ever knew
>much about that OS.

LOL, who does? Sun makes a strange breed of Unix and odder machines
still. It takes a special breed of asylum escapee to really understand
Solaris <g>

>(DOS is many orders of magnitude better).

Yea, right. Put DOS against the Bash shell, and Bash would kick DOS up
and down the block. DOS was in many ways swiped from CP/M and *nix, then
drastically simplified to the point that it is a shadow of *nix. All the
things you can do in DOS you can do in a Bash shell (we're not talking
about GUIs here, BTW), and more... While DOS isn't all that bad, I do
truly prefer Bash.

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
Hmmm, I ought to read that myself <g>

>While the accessability of linux can be praised, the workload it places
>on the user is much too great. It should be more automated... OOPS!! Its
>too complex to be autometed. ;)

Wanna bet? <g>
There are no fewer than a dozen scripting tools on your average *nix
box, like Perl, Python, Bash, Expect, TCL, Awk, etc... And between them,
there really isn't anything that you can't script and automate on a *nix
machine. Of course, it's a little complicated, and you fear
complexity... <g>

-=Brian=-
(who wonders why Alan doesn't just get a Mac so he doesn't have to
think)