<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3

  • From: Bill Marcum <bmarcum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 16:02:06 -0400

At 12:10 AM 5/17/01 -0400, John wrote:

>I agree with brian here, also in the US copyrights are good for upto so many
>years past the last year shown.  I believe this number is 11 years which
>would mean Microsoft will need to do something tricky to keep the copyright
>alive,  unless somehow they can claim copyright continued through out the
>various versions of windows but I am not sure, I am no copyright expert...

Someone may have already corrected this in private email, but copyrights do
NOT expire in 11 years.  Maybe patents do, but if I'm not mistaken the most
recent copyright law has a term of 75 years.  Most "abandonware" that you
see on the web, the copyright owner either cannot be found or has given
permission for the software to be distributed.