<CT> Re: Microsoft discontinuing support for Win3

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:38:52 -0600 (MDT)

On May 18, Alan Grimes directed electrons to calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

>> www.linuxfromscratch.com
>NICE!!!
>That fixes almost 50% of my gripes with linux...

Ok, so you're not exactly impressed with the kernel... That's ok :)

Another ultra-minimal distro that may be interesting is Toms RTBT at
http://toms.net/rb.

It is a super-small compressed distro that fits onto one diskette. It
boots, uncompresses the filesystem into a ramdisk, and operates from
there. Everything is in memory, and doesn't touch your drives at all
(unless you tell it to). Disk space needed is -0- bytes.

Takes a minute or two to boot, but makes a very nice ultra-mini setup
that I use for system administration and such. I can't get it to make a
dialup net connection (it only supports network links), but it's still
fun to play with.

You can find a list of mini-distros of varying types and sizes and
feature ranges at
http://www.blj8.com/Computers/Linux-Unix/Distributions/Mini-distributions/index.html

-=Brian=-