[bookshare-discuss] Re: Better Scans?

  • From: "Allison Hilliker" <amhillik@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 21:17:39 -0400

Hi Cindy and others!

Thanks for your thoughts.  I'm impressed that you edit while scanning, I
think I would lose track of what page I'm on and skip or rescan pages, lol.
Plus, running the scanner slows down my comp for some reason, and makes it
virtually unusable while scanning.  I've gotten better at the multi-tasking
however, I scan while talking on the phone sometimes, that's kinda fun
actually.

As for submitting your books, I really really think you should submit yours!
Don't worry too much bout the criticism, if they except my books, they'll
take yours, hahaha.  Also, I think most Bookshare members, not all I know,
but most just want to improve the book collection, not cut down other people
and their scanning abilities.  In fact, you make a good point, we could all
stand to be a bit gentler when talking about scan quality I think.  We don't
wanna scare away potential contributors!  Submissions are submissions, and
every one counts.  Just know that every book that you upload could be
enjoyed by at least one other person, who may not have read it otherwise.
To me, that is something that feels wonderful to be able to give.

And trust me, no one's flamed my submissions yet, I'm the only one who has,
lol!  one of them was pretty rough.  If you're feeling self-conscious about
your scanning skills, check out "Women Who Shaped World History."  It's a
sad lil animal.  It's readable, but only just.  It was a bedraggled lil old
paperback from our university library, and almost nothing could improve the
scan.  Anyway, they took it, and hopefully some people have been able to
enjoy it.  The point is, if you can read it, someone else may to, and don't
worry bout the rest.

If you're really still concerned, make up some sort of nick-name to put on
your
uploads.  That way, if people feel like being critical, at least it will
likely never get back to you.  You don't have to use your first and/or last
name on uploads.  You can change the display name for that in your account
settings somewhere.  Unlike Mary, I don't recommend putting no name on your
submissions, cuz then it just puts you down as a Bookshare volunteer.  This
means that no one can search for the other books you've submitted.  No one
needs to know who you are, but their knowing what other things you've
scanned could prove helpful.  For example, if I like a certain book, I often
check the books submitted by the person who scanned it because chances are
we have similar tastes.  If they are listed as just a volunteer, I don't get
this chance.  In fact, I'm really disappointed when I can't find a submitter
for a book.  You don't need your name, just a name to distinguish your
scans.  All my submissions just have my nickname up there, I
find that it works well for me that way.

Also, just out of curiosity, what year are you at in school?  What are ya
studying?  I'm in Michigan, and am an elementary ed major who will be a
senior in the fall, finally, yay!  I'm working at a center for the blind in
Minneapolis this summer, helping to run their summer programs for blind
kids.
I'm really excited about it.  Hopefully I'll still have a little time left
for summer reading though.... I hope I hope I hope!

Well, the storms here are still raging and so I sit at the computer hoping
that Lightening doesn't fry my comp.  Should prob shut it down, but
brilliance was never my strength.  I'm only a college student after all.
<grin>.

All the best,
Allison