[bookshare-discuss] Re: Better Scans?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:32:29 -0500

You need to 'soften' the spine of the book.  Try opening the book every 50
pages or so and slowly forcing the book to open completely.  Repeat the
process until you have reached the end of the book.  BAt the end of this
process you should be able to open the book fairly flat against the
platen.  Remember you always need to keep the middle down flat against the
glass.
To ensure you get the entire page  put the book sideways.  First try with
the top of the page flush against   the rightside of the glass.  Try a
test scan or two. If nothing gets truncated at the bottom of the page, you
should be fine.  Just try with a few different pages in the book.

If you discover that text at the bottom of the page is missing or looks
like garbage,  invert the alignment:  put the bottom of the book flush
with the left margin of the scanner glass and repeat the test scan.  You
may discover that the page header is sometimes corrupted,  but this is
likely to be the only drawback.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Gary Petraccaro
Sent by:
05/10/2004 03:42 PM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss

<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Better Scans?

I could use some input on this topic.  I have quite a few thick (600 pages
or more, non-bookclub-sized hardbacks, and my scanner will always chop off
something when I try to scan two pages at once.  I don't see a way to get
words from the curved inner part of the page.  I say that I have these
books, but they're really my wife's and mine so removing the binding isn't
an option.  What way works best including getting a full-sized scanner. If
it is the scanner option, could someone recommend manufacturer and model?
TIA