[bookshare-discuss] Re: Better Scans?

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08:46 -0500

Alison,  in k1K 7 and 8, Ranked spelling is a dialogue which shows you the
ratio of words found in the dictionary versus total number of words in the
document.  It is a fairly good way to asses the actual quality of a
document.
Rather than using a brightness of 50,  try using the automatic
optimization feature found at the bottom of the scanning dialogue.
Than compare the quality you get with that,  with a scan performed at
400DPI with grayscale and no speckle removal.
Use the better one of the two results as settings for the remainder of the
book.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Allison Hilliker
Sent by:
05/09/2004 08:24 PM
Please respond to
bookshare-discuss

<bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bookshare-discuss] Re: Better Scans?

Hi Mary, thanks for the suggestions.  I agree with you about direct book
contact while scanning.  I feel like my scans have gotten better since
I've
started doing that.  Tell me about rank spelling, what is that?  I've
never
used it.  Also, what scanner brightness do you usually start out with?  I
usually start at fifty, but am not sure of brightness standards.  You
mentioned errors in Fine Engine.  That's what I usually use.  Is the other
recognition program better?  RTK is it?

Thanks in advance.

This topic is good so far, I'm totally pumped to do some scanning now,
lol.

Best,
Allison