[bookport] Ed/.brf files from Bookshare

  • From: "Shannon" <srre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:03:47 -0700

Ed Thurston wrote:
I certainly do thank many of you here on the list for   getting me up and
running with the bookport.  I have a  2 gb card over  half full of books in
text format.  I just renewed my subscription to Book Share and am curious to
see how well it  really handles the  brf files.

Ed, .brf files are the only files from Bookshare that I read, and web
braille as well.  The Book Port read them beautifully.  The only very minor
flaw, and it's so rare that it's not worth worrying  about for me, is that
occasionally, when the double talk sees the open or closed quote  sign in
the .brf files, it will say, his, or was, which as you all know are the
words that those two signs represent by themselves.  So you might hear
something like this:
is How are you today? was asked Shannon as she poured Ed a cup of strong
coffee.
This is very rare and it does make sense for the speech to do that since it
is interpretting the contractions right when it does this.  I love .brf
files.  They seem to be smaller than daisy files too.
Shannon