[bksvol-discuss] Re: request of submitters

  • From: Emily Harrison <greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:56:31 -0500

I may be out of place, but I think I'll weigh in here.  My feeling as a
proofreader is, why should we only strive for the minimum requirements?
Isn't it important to do more than that which is required by Bookshare, in
order to assure the best possible reading experience for those who take
advantage of what Bookshare offers?  I don't think the Bookshare
requirements for proofing (title page, copyright info) are stringent enough,
and I for one am willing to go further, to actually correct the scan errors
and other issues which affect the quality of the final product.  I'm a
beginner, so perhaps I'm speaking out of line.  But I just don't think it's
enough to say, "That's all Bookshare requires, so that's good enough."  Most
of us are willing to do better than that, so those who think "just good
enough" is sufficient are bound to both annoy and, in their neglegence,
potentially cause difficulty by leaving errors uncorrected.

Obviously, I wouldn't consider a quick turn around from a scan and proof
team to be a "jiffy proof."  I'm part of a team myself, and it's quite
possible that if we were both in the right frame of mind, we could scan,
proof and submit a book all in one day.  I don't think the discussion of
jiffy proofing, as it's currently being discussed, refers to such types of
proofing at all, and thus it's sort of a moot point.

--
Emily Harrison
greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx