[bksvol-discuss] Re: request of submitters

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare volunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:00:11 -0500

Hi.

I wasn't criticizing Jamie in my message. I'm sorry if it was taken that way.

I actually think part of the reason why there are fewer books on the checkout
page is that the people who scan are getting better at what they do.

Originally, I didn't like the "hold for reader" idea; I just didn't think it
would work. But, having given it a little more thought it sounds okay to me.
The person doing the scanning is merely saying that he/she would like to have
their book to go to someone who will read it completely. As a proof reader, the
choice is mine. If I'm willing to do that, then I can take the book, and if
not, then I'll find something else to proof read. I'm one who doesn't always
read the book from cover to cover. I do take pride in my proof reading skills,
and, if a book requires going through it completely then I will. But, not all
books need that kind of tlc.

I really like the fact that we can now look at a book's history, with comments
by previous people who have worked on it.

We probably should have another designation "hold for sighted reader" for books
that need picture descriptions and things like that.

Just my thoughts and apologies.
Bob