[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 14:50:35 -0600

Pratik,  I agree completely with you.  I would like furthermore to add the
following:

1.  While it is entirely possible that on occasion Kurzweil may generate
an incorrect font size,  on recent version of K1K at least using the Fine
Reader engine, the occurrence is quite rare. . . it is much more likely
that a hand manipulation will generate some bizzarre font attributes.

2.  It is also true that dyslexic individuals may require particular
fond/attributes combinations for best reading.  This is however is an
extremely individual-dependent requirement and is best dealt by the user's
reading software, rather than a volunteer  deciding on a version-fits-all.

It is usually very easy for a reader to apply a single font or a standard
system font to any document, even if the document were in read-only mode.

4.  Printed books often contain excruciatingly   small headers and
footers, including minuscule page numbers.  Let's leave them font
attributes alone.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

"Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
02/05/2008 10:37 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of
disabled bookshare readers

I have serious concerns about changing font size and font types to a
single
one.

1. we are assuming--and this is a large assumption--that the author does
not
want the fancy font characteristics in a book and that these
characteristics
are not by design.

2. whether or not the author or the publisher wants the fancy font
characteristics, I would hesitate to change anything about the book if it
could be helped.  THe issue of readability has to be addressed by the
program used to view the file in the final, ultimate version.  So, a
reader
using a program such as K1K should be able to use that program to change
the
font characteristics according to his/her needs.  We should not need to
nor
should we be in the business of changing font to suit that purpose.

3.  Font characteristics are important for individuals with LD.  Remember
that blind people are not the only ones reading Bookshare.org material.

Pratik