[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 11:37:56 -0500

I have serious concerns about changing font size and font types to a single
one.

1. we are assuming--and this is a large assumption--that the author does not
want the fancy font characteristics in a book and that these characteristics
are not by design.

2. whether or not the author or the publisher wants the fancy font
characteristics, I would hesitate to change anything about the book if it
could be helped.  THe issue of readability has to be addressed by the
program used to view the file in the final, ultimate version.  So, a reader
using a program such as K1K should be able to use that program to change the
font characteristics according to his/her needs.  We should not need to nor
should we be in the business of changing font to suit that purpose.

3.  Font characteristics are important for individuals with LD.  Remember
that blind people are not the only ones reading Bookshare.org material.

Pratik