[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on Scan quality for blind vs other types of disabled bookshare readers

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 20:22:07 -0500

Hi all,

Judy these are excellent questions.

Original message:
I have some general questions regarding what is considered an 'excellent scan.'
So, here's some very basic questions that I have, and associated thoughts. smile.

1. Do the screen readers (JAWS, etc) make any distinction between font sizing,
font type and page alignment (e.g., text aligned left, text aligned right) in a
book.

When reading via speech, that is not so obvious, but when reading in Braille, the alignment of text is shown. Font size, unless related to headings of different degrees is not shown because Braille comes in only one font and size. Italics and underlining can be shown in Braille, though bolded text cannot be.

2. Do .brf files code in any of those things (font sizing, font type and page
alignment)?

As I say, Braille comes in only one font and size, however alignment is used.

3. 2. Do Daisy files (and the associated html files) code in any of those things
(font sizing, font type and page alignment)?

I believe that DAISY files can do headings, as in section titles.

I'm asking because these things do make a huge difference to the readability of
a scanned book to a sighted member.

Understandable. Yes that's certainly understandable from your point of view, and my best advice is to keep doing what you're doing. You are right in thinking that submitters and validators should consider the needs of sighted readers as well as the blind.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring